Tuesday, February 10, 2009

AutoBio #4

I consider my bilingual ability (Spanish) as an asset. I constantly find myself needing to go back and forth with these two languages whether at home, work or out in the street. The most significant moment I've used this language ability, not only spoken but written was when my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. From the beginning of her diagnosis I was able to accompany her everywhere. It was crucial for her to know all the steps involved in order to begin her treatment. In this case, as in many others, I realized that it was so significant to have the ability to communicate in both spoken and written languages. I had to serve not only as a comfort zone but interpreter as well. The day they diagnosed her, my mom was only focusing on the horror of having the cancer and what might happen, she was not focusing on the documentation needed and further steps involved.

My focus was on getting any type of available help/programs that would help my mother financially to further proceed with her treatment. I immediately asked for help with programs available , forms and further appointments, as well as a doctor. Day after day I was either calling or completing forms for her to get the immediate help that she desperately needed. I was able to get a state approved cancer program for all of her future medical needs. I realized that although my mother could've gotten help through other means, it would have definitely taken longer and maybe she wouldn't have qualified for the program. I used my literacy skills to act quickly on a very important, personal concern. Thankfully, my mother is alive and doing extremely well. I think this situation futher demonstrates the importance of literacy and how effective it is within our everday lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment