Monday, February 16, 2009

AutoBio #5- Literacy Interaction

As I begin to write this assignment I step back into time and truly wonder how many times I use oral and written language on a daily basis. I realize how significant our use of literacy is throughout our everyday tasks. From the morning we get up, we look at (read) the alarm clock then we rush to get ready for wherever we need to go or do. We set our coffee maker and use our microwaves. When driving we have to be conscious of our speed limit, signs and lights. Even more interesting is that literacy is a multi-functional tool that serves to accommodate our everyday lives from simple to more complex tasks.

What’s most appealing to me is that all of us interact with oral and written communication on different levels. For example, a teacher may be equally bound to using both oral and written literacy within the classroom whereas a real estate agent needs to show the upmost friendly and social communication skills to make a sale. At home, my language usage is more informal than it would be at work, school, party, dinner table, etc... thus, social community matters. For example, it’s unavoidable to quarrel (goof around) daily with my brother at home where bad words and tricks are exposed. In contrast, I talk more formally (with more respect) to my sisters and parents. I’ve come to realize that literacy is integrated and needed for human survival. We are all active participants and connected in this literacy world.

No comments:

Post a Comment