Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Early Child Literacy

As a young child, even in kindergarten I don’t have much memory of my early language and literacy development. I know that my first language has been and still is Spanish. I was spoken to and learned this language from home. However, I wonder if I also already knew some English because of tv watched at home or older sisters already in school. As I attended school, my focus went from Spanish to English but primarily in the school environment. At home, it was primarily Spanish spoken because of my parents who don’t speak English.. I have come to appreciate knowing the two languages. My parents didn’t let me forget the importance of speaking both languages. It never became complicated for me to use these two languages while growing up.
My literacy development pretty much occurred in school. I do remember going to preschool and consider it as an advantage with my language and development. I say this because of studies that prove this theory. Also, my mother probably helped in my early literacy and language by constantly talking and talking to me as a child. My parents had little, if any education. However, they always encouraged me to value education and do well in school. I don’t remember if it was easy for me to learn to read and write or not but I always did my work. I don’t think I’ve ever been involved in any community affiliations.

No comments:

Post a Comment