Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Books; Comfort & Conversation

I knew that reading was not so bad when I began confusing my familiarity to a book as if it were a movie. M. M. Kaye’s The Ordinary Princess was the first chapter book to flood my imagination with new wonderful possibilities. My mother had picked it from the school book fair maybe because the cover was a charming pink color with portrait of a plain girl said to be the ordinary princess. At that time I was capable of reading on my own but more often than not I would start several young reader chapter books and never finish them. Needless to say, I finished this book and reread it in the same week because it was that great.

Since that time, I learned to trust my mother’s book choices for me. Thinking retrospectively I see that she seemed to know just what I needed as a child. Both of my parents worked in those days and I might have needed more attention and more confidence boosts than I was ready to admit.

The most recent book I’ve read out of pure enjoyment was Breaking Dawn, the last book of Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight series. I began reading out of curiosity and the encouragements from my younger sister. She had literally put her high school responsibilities on hold to finish these massive books. I figure books that have that power over a seventeen year old who normally surrenders her soul to television is something worth looking into. Besides, everybody knows that the book is always better than the movie adaptations. I wanted to be one of those people who can instantly list the differences. More importantly, my sister was aching to have someone to talk to about the book. Whenever I discover something so phenomenally amazing I must share it with my friends and family for the sake of having someone to talk to/complain/argue/debate with. Who doesn’t want something to talk about?

No comments:

Post a Comment