Monday, January 26, 2009

AutoBio #2

For some reason, it's hard for me to remember most of the books I've read and their significance. However, there is one in particular that stands out for me, "The Lord of the Flies". I read this in a CSUSB course a few years ago. At first, I wasn't even interested just from the title itself. However, as I began to read it I was pretty impressed about all the possible themes it contained. The story takes place on an island where a plane carrying boys from a boarding school crashes. There are no adults. The concept of community, rules and discipline quickly arise. What I find more significant in this novel is how the characters portray true life personas despite young boys. For example, there's Ralph as the leader in charge of everyone (all the other children) and who believes deeply on rules, order and working together to be rescued. Then there's Piggy whom, in addition to being fat, wears glasses. He's considered a sissy and desires to be noticed and accepted. Jack's character depicts a "want to be" dictator of the group. It's all about him and what he wants to do not what benefits them all. As mentioned, this book represents a lot of literacy and true life concepts that I would want my children to read.

At home, books were never considered as important, much less a "must have". The only books at home were those brought from school for homework use. Perhaps my parents lack of education made them unaware of the significance of reading. However, they did acknowledge that it was important for us to do well in school and recieve good grades.

Honestly, I don't read that often. When I do read, I do it because I have the time, I don't want to watch tv and it helps me relax. The most recent book I've read is "The Illusions of Love" by Kasey Michaels. I bought this book not only because it was on sale but I liked the title. It's a typical marriage of convenience story, however the two characters are not so typical. Lord Dante Muir is a strong, very charming bachelor with much experience with women. Sarah Jane is innocent and just coming into womanhood with no experience in love. The author uses such deep, profound and intimate words and details that I didn't want to stop reading it. In the end they fall passionately in love with each other which is something they didn't realize they wanted. I will reread it again when I have the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment